Thanks for visiting our blog--the best way we could think of to share our updates with our family and friends!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tour de...Brookhaven

On Saturday, our team was encouraged to register for a 20k (12.4 mi.) race, Tour de Fleurs at White Rock Lake. The registration fee for this race was a little steep, so we decided we'd find our own course.

Before the alarm went off early Saturday, Ben had been up and feeling sick, so I decided I would go it alone. Now, Ben has a Nike+ with his iPhone, which would have come in handy in tracking our distance if we had been running together. But since I couldn't count on that, I had to choose a course for which I knew the distance. So, I decided I would run the 2 mile track around Brookhaven College six times. Since our dear friend Kim was here to take care of Marin for us, Ben actually went over to the track with me, hoping to overcome his sickness, but it wasn't to be.

While it was a beautiful morning, the monotony was just too much, so after completing 4 laps (8 miles), I decided to run home from there, which I estimated might be 3 miles. My body was feeling no worse/different than on other long runs, but I was having a lot of trouble getting my head in the game. So, I desperately needed a change of scenery, and the trade-off was that I would likely fall short of the scheduled 12.4 miles. Oh, well! So, I tracked it after returning home, and my final count was 10.75 miles.

It took me 2.5 hours, which was a disappointing pace for me. But, I stretched myslef to run farther than the previous week, so I guess that's progress! A big THANK YOU to Kim for playing with Marin that morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment